Fire Ants
I came to Louisiana for a Lugnut reunion. I’ve been told I’m nuts, so it was good to be around some of my friends who can relate. The three of us have had a blast.
On night we grabbed the pigs-in-a-blanket, cheetos, oatmeal cream pies, and cream soda and headed out to have a picnic. We went and saw alligators, the gulf, and rain. After driving around all evening we thought we’d stop in a random field and eat and chat.
As we sat there having our picnic. The fire ants attacked me. It was dark and I felt the bites, but I thought they were mosquitoes, so what could I do? My friends laughed that I would get malaria in Zambia when I stepped of the plane, cuz if the mosquitoes here love me, then there is no avoiding them in Africa.
We came home and I saw all the little bites but didn’t think much of it. In the morning my feet were so itchy, but it wasn’t bad. As the day wore on, it got worse and it took every fiber in my being not to scratch the bites. We looked up on the internet and it turns out that my bites are from fire ants. I can tell you why they call them fire ants, no doubt. The internet said to coat the bites with dish detergent, it worked, perhaps it was psychological, but they didn’t itch.
Last night before bed, I put Benadryl cream on them only to wake up in the middle of the night to the worst itching pain I’ve ever had. So, I sit here now with my feet covered in dish detergent hoping the dog doesn’t like my toes and get sick. The relief is minimal, but far better than it was at 4 am.
I won’t miss fire ants in Africa.
On night we grabbed the pigs-in-a-blanket, cheetos, oatmeal cream pies, and cream soda and headed out to have a picnic. We went and saw alligators, the gulf, and rain. After driving around all evening we thought we’d stop in a random field and eat and chat.
As we sat there having our picnic. The fire ants attacked me. It was dark and I felt the bites, but I thought they were mosquitoes, so what could I do? My friends laughed that I would get malaria in Zambia when I stepped of the plane, cuz if the mosquitoes here love me, then there is no avoiding them in Africa.
We came home and I saw all the little bites but didn’t think much of it. In the morning my feet were so itchy, but it wasn’t bad. As the day wore on, it got worse and it took every fiber in my being not to scratch the bites. We looked up on the internet and it turns out that my bites are from fire ants. I can tell you why they call them fire ants, no doubt. The internet said to coat the bites with dish detergent, it worked, perhaps it was psychological, but they didn’t itch.
Last night before bed, I put Benadryl cream on them only to wake up in the middle of the night to the worst itching pain I’ve ever had. So, I sit here now with my feet covered in dish detergent hoping the dog doesn’t like my toes and get sick. The relief is minimal, but far better than it was at 4 am.
I won’t miss fire ants in Africa.
