Els Adventures

Friday, August 6, 2010

I Can't Drive 65 KPH

It’s a warm winter’s day, the kind that makes me forget it is winter. Amai had asked me if I would pick some stuff up for her to give to a friend who is going to visit her. It was a wonderful way to escape the cold cinder walls of my office in search of some Vitamin D.

Remember I’ve only lived in Lusaka for two months and the past few days have been a blur with grief. So, I asked for directions to where I was going, confirmed and headed on my way. I’m cruising down the Great East Road, when a man steps in front of me with his white glove raised. I had heard about this. Upon further examination, there on a tri-pod looking contraption was something bearing resemblance to a radar gun (the kind that was used in the early 70’s I’m guessing).

Being the good citizen that I am, I turned the corner and stopped, I don’t know what to do. Then the police officer gestured for me to pull into this parking lot. Still being a good American, I got out my driver’s license and sat in my car. The police lady came up to me and told me I had been going too fast. I agreed. Then she said, you can pay now or we can give you a paper and you have seven days to go to the central police station and pay the fine.

I told her I’d pay now, IF there were receipts. She turns to her male counterparts and tells them I want a receipt. They in turn tell her that the receipts are finished. Meanwhile, I am thinking, you aren’t doing a good job if you didn’t bring enough receipts. So, she asks me again what I want to do. Again I say, I want to pay now and get a receipt. She then asks me if I can go to the Central Police station tomorrow. I tell her I don’t think so. She ponders this for a bit. I keep thinking she will write me the paper and then let me pay within the next 7 days. After a few seconds of pondering she tells me to go. I ask her where, she says, go, leave.

When in Africa always ask for a receipt, no matter how many times they tell you they are out. Africa 0 Ellen 1.